April 14, 2012

Yo soy del sur...

So I've been taking a weekly Sevillanas dance class throughout the semester with four other girls in my program. It's a really pretty dance, basically a version of flamenco, and is what the people dance during the Feria of Seville. There are a bunch of songs about Andalucía and its charms, and one of my favorites is the title of this post, Yo Soy del Sur. It's about the how the people of Andalucía are proud of knowing how to enjoy themselves by having fun, taking naps, and eating tapas. So true! Haha. And Feria is coming up next week (!!!) and so all of us are super excited to fiesta and show off our new Sevillanas skills.

Last Thursday, our dance teacher, Carmen, invited us over to her apartment for a get together and dinner. She is one of the most hilarious and warm people I've ever met, and we all had a blast. Carmen loves cooking, and made us tortilla española and risotto, which were mouthwateringly delicious. After dinner we tried on a few of her trajes de flamenco, or flamenco dresses, and took a bunch of pictures. She even brought out her jewelry and hair decorations for us to try on!



Aren't the dresses gorgeous? We also played some dancing games on Carmen's Wii. Obviously not Sevillanas, but it was so funny watching everyone flail around trying to imitate the dancer on the TV screen.


Fabulous time. I'm so glad I decided to sign up for the class. A few weeks ago I was contemplating dropping it because I had the opportunity to take on a second tutoring job. But I figured that I'd rather get more of the cultural experience (I'm abroad after all) and now I don't regret it one bit. Now I am super pumped for Feria...it'll be an experience like none other!

No comments:

Post a Comment